Saturday, November 26, 2011

[NaNo 2011] Day 26

While I'm almost at the 50K mark as I write this, what is even more important to me is that I am absolutely coming up to the end of the first arc of the story, now...! Just a bit of arc-ish denouement, and I can start work on... dun dun dun! ...Arc II! (That just happens to be the main thrust of the story. Of course.)

I'm really happy with what I've accomplished so far, though. I haven't felt such love for characters in a long, long time, and I feel like anyone who reads this will read it because they enjoy my writing and the way I shape relationships within my worlds, rather than because they want to see how I do or don't screw up a pre-existing universe of characters.

One of the things of which I am often accused is being too descriptive. I can't really help it; that's just the way that I write. And I personally like description, especially if it helps relate aspects of the characters - and the way they interact - without using a lot of dialogue. (Not that there's anything wrong with telling a story through dialogue. Except that it often ends up being just that: telling.)

They took once more to the bed soon after, caressing and cuddling rather than seething and grinding, because Amber hummed that she wasn't quite ready for sex again yet. Though it was still enjoyable even so, for it gave Ross reason and opportunity to concentrate on all of the tiny subtleties of her form: from the webby skin between her toes (that was very ticklish when he played his tongue there), to the shallow hollow of her navel (in which the smell of soap lingered wonderfully when he pressed his nose there), to the sensitive inner ridge of her ear (which made her belly cringe and her nipples harden when he blew a string of suggestive obscenities there).

With this paragraph, by the way, I hit 49445 words, just a bit over 500 shy of the NaNo goal of 50K. Four days early, even!

49445 / 50000 words. 99% done!

Of course, it's still all about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment