Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fearless [Arc II] Day 34

It's a brand new year...and I'm still working on Arc II. Still no name for either arc (not like the last big story), but that's okay. Not everything has to be named to be important.

I got my first reader feedback for this story the other day (from a family member, but, hey - I'll take what I can get). Said feedback wasn't overwhelming (there wasn't a lot of detail), but it also was not negative, so I'm considering it at least moderately successful.

What I'm really enjoying at this part of the story is how Amber and Ross are almost exchanging perspectives, back and forth, multiple times. It's a really interesting dynamic that I haven't been able to play with, before. And it's doubly interesting because I don't have fandom fans telling me how I should or should not write my own story. (Not every reader of my fan fiction work does that, of course...but the ones who do are really opinionated about it, often obnoxiously so.)

Another part of writing this story which I really enjoy is that these characters are mine. Sure, they have their inspirations and their jumping-off points, but those inspirations were one-liners, only rough facets of the full gem beneath. I feel like I've grown to know Ross, Amber, Neville, and the rest as closely as - if not more than - I've done any other characters. Perhaps because their conflicts and issues are so much more real to me than any other story's. Perhaps because they have real flaws and fears that I've experienced in my own life. Or perhaps simply because they're not shooting zombies or jumping into television worlds; I don't know.

All I really know is that I'm so glad I took this chance on them. NaNoWriMo may have ended several weeks ago, now, but I feel like I've only just begun to find this novel.


40503 / 50000 words. 81% done!

(This wordcount meter, by the way, doesn't mean anything at all. I had hoped to reach the end of Arc II after a second 50,000 words, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think there's too much drama in this second arc to cram it all into just another 10K or so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment